Chop Wood Carry Water Plant Seeds is a blog about Self-Sufficient Homesteading. How can we live by creating a sustainable bio-diverse world, instead of by consuming and destroying the only one we have? What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The New Top Bar Hive Colony

The girls seem to like their new home. I can see them performing the "orientation flight" infront of the hive and some are at the entrance fanning the Nasonov pheromon inviting the sisters into the hive (very good sign).
Here is a short video showing the new and the old Top Bar Hive

2 comments:

  1. Very cool video. A top bar hive will be my winter project this year and hopefully next year I'll capture a nice swarm to house in it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Chris. I never kept bees in conventional hives so cant tell the difference between them and TBH. I like the TBH so far. The only thing I see as an issue is cross-combing when bees build combs over 2 or more top bars. So far I only had them curve the ends which is not a big deal. I just cut it with the knife if I have to go into the hive for inspection. Bees usually fix the damage fast.

    ReplyDelete